It is common sense to say that employee wellbeing has a significant role to play in workplace performance and productivity. So as an employer, it is important to be cognizant of the psychological needs of your staff, and to offer help when these issues threaten to overwhelm.
That is where our Employee Assistance Program steps in
– offering a professional employee counselling service for all emotional issues. And with our simple setup and straightforward terms – you can get your staff started on a course of therapy today.
The Statistics are Staggering
The prevalence of mental illness in Australia is often under-estimated. You may be surprised to know that in any given year, 20% of Australians will be suffering from some form of mental illness, and just under half will experience mental illness at least once in their lifetime .
This means that that 1 in every 5 of your employees may well be suffering from a mental illness right now. The most common emotional issues experienced by Australians include anxiety/panic, depression, stress and addiction. A recent experience of grief can also impact substantially on emotional wellbeing.
Low mental health in your workplace will have a substantial impact on your bottom line, primarily through absenteeism, presenteeism (where staff attend, but are non-productive) and low morale. Depression alone has been said to cost the Australian economy $12.5 billion dollars annually and is the cause of almost 6 million lost days of productive work .
Signs of Negative Emotional Health
If a member of your staff has experienced a recent loss, or is suffering from an issue like depression, stress, or anxiety, you may be noticing a significant reduction in their workplace effectiveness. Common signs to look out for include:
- Decreased productivity
- Increased errors/mistakes
- Increased conflict, between peer staff or between management and workers
- An increase in disciplinary and grievance incidents
- An increase in absenteeism and physical sickness
- An increase in presenteeism (where the staff member comes to work, but is non-productive whilst they are there).
These issues will typically make themselves felt across your entire organisation. You may notice:
- Low staff moral and overall work atmosphere
- A weakening of the quality of your customer service
- Increased staff turnover
- Loss of your reputation as an employer of choice.
Our Employee Counselling Program
Mental health issues are treatable. The right support will have your affected employers back at work and operating in a productive and fulfilling way – every day.
Our EAP service is designed to help you support the emotional health of your staff and meet your employer obligations in a professional and hassle-free way. Your staff can choose from over 20 office locations in the Greater Sydney area, and can start benefiting from the experience of our professional counsellors today. Call us to find out more.
 Australian Bureau of Statistics National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: Summary of Results 2007